Home » Posts tagged 'Megan Wickey'
Tag Archives: Megan Wickey
OMAHA - Omaha Concordia junior Megan Wickey has become the state’s first member of the 2015 graduating class to make a commitment to play Division I volleyball.
Wickey, a 6-foot-2 outside hitter and 2nd Team All-Nebraska selection by Nebraska Prep Volleyball, has committed to the Ohio State Buckeyes. This season she averaged 5.8 kills per set while hitting .382 to lead the Mustangs to a 21-11 record.
She also led the team with 48 blocks, 289 digs and her 31 service aces were second on the team. Wickey had more than 10 offers before narrowing her selection down to Ohio State and Iowa State. Ultimately, Wickey said Ohio State just felt right to her.
“I chose Ohio State because, when it came down to it, that’s where I found my heart,” she said today. “I could see myself going there and being really happy. Even if I got hurt, Ohio State is still where I wanted to be because I fell in love.”
Wickey said an added bonus in the ability to play in the Big Ten, widely considered the top conference in the nation for volleyball.
“I am so excited to play in the Big Ten,” she said. “It is one of the toughest conferences out there so I am playing the best of the best which has always been a dream of mine. And I also get to travel the country, which is a great experience in and of itself. Playing in the Big Ten was also a big deciding factor for me.
“This is most definitely a dream come true. Since I was in maybe 4th or 5th grade I’ve dreamed about playing in front of big crowds and playing for a Big Ten championship and a national championship and then playing after college. I am so excited to see where this experience takes me. I wouldn’t ask for it any other way.”
Wickey said for now she is looking at a major around interior design and that the Ohio State coaching staff has told her they view her as a six-rotation player and a leader on the court. She’s also glad to have the decision made so she can on the rest of her high school career. This spring, she will be playing for Nebraska Elite’s top 17s team.
“It is such a relief to have this process over, you have no idea,” she said. “It is such a blessing and honor to have gone through it because it really makes you grow up and start thinking about your future. But I’m happy because now it’s one less thing I have to worry about. And I can no start focusing on getting better and stronger for college.”
A total of 11 high school seniors in Nebraska have been named to the Under Armour Girls’ High School All-America Watch List which was released today.
The list is only for current high school seniors across the country. A total of 414 volleyball players are on the list. Those players from Nebraska are:
- Carlie Bauer, 5-foot-9, outside hitter from Minden
- Olivia Boender, 6-foot-2, outside hitter from Waverly
- Shayla Conner, 5-foot-7, setter from Kearney Catholic
- Brittany Lawrence, 6-foot-3, outside hitter from North Platte St. Patrick
- Morgan Nikkila, 5-foot-9, outside hitter from Hastings St. Cecilia
- Dani Root, 6-foot, outside hitter from Waverly
- Taylor Thiele, 5-foot-10, outside hitter from Aurora
- Sydney Townsend, 5-foot-8, libero from Lincoln Pius X
- Toni Tupper, 6-foot-2, outside hitter from Lincoln Northeast
- Rachel Wald, 5-foot-8, middle blocker from DC West
- Marysa Wilkinson, 5-foot-11, middle blocker from Lincoln Southwest
The Under Armour High School All-America Program recognizes athletes by annually selecting an All-America team comprised of 100 female high school senior student-athletes (24 per a First and Second Team and 52 Honorable Mention).
In addition, the American Volleyball Coaches Association announced its 2013 Phenom List, which is for high school juniors, sophomores and freshmen. An additional 12 players from Nebraska high schools or clubs were selected. They are:
- Tarrin Beller, 5-foot-11, sophomore middle blocker from Humphrey
- Allie Davis, 6-foot-1, sophomore outside hitter from Lincoln Southwest
- Taylor Frederick, 6-foot, sophomore middle blocker from Harlan, IA (plays for River City Juniors during club season)
- Clare Hamburger, 5-foot-7, junior setter from Hastings St. Cecilia
- Kiley Hixson, 5-foot-10, sophomore outside hitter from Aurora
- Madison Jurgen, freshman setter from Lincoln
- Raegan LeGrand, sophomore libero from Papillion-LaVista South
- Olivia Nicholson, sophomore middle blocker from North Platte
- Allison Penner, junior setter/right side from Aurora
- Alison Rowse, 5-foot-6, junior setter from Minden
- Megan Wickey, 5-foot-11, junior outside hitter from Omaha Concordia
- Brittney Witt, sophomore libero from Omaha Marian
Players named top the ACVA Phenom List will be invited to participate in the Phenom College Preparatory Program in Seattle, Washington, December 19 -22, 2013 during the NCAA Final Four. Participating student-athletes and their parents will attend educational sessions, the Under Armour All-America High School Volleyball Match, NCAA volleyball matches, interact with AVCA Collegiate All-Americans, undergo Volleyball Performance Index (VPI) testing and Athlete Behavioral Profile (ABP), and participate in the NCSA/AVCA Talent Showcase during which athletes demonstrate their skills in front of the 200-plus college coaches in attendance.